Neil’s Wheels Model Car Raceway
909 W. Spring Creek Parkway, #290
Plano, Texas 75023
Phone & Fax: 972-517-CARS (2277)
THE HAPPY OWNER’S OF NEIL’S WHEELS PLANO, TEXAS’ NEIL & SUSAN PLANICK
NEED AN H.O. PART? IF IT’S NOT HERE, THE PART HASN’T BEEN MADE YET!
|VIEW FROM THE BACK OF THE STORE|
|SIX-LANE MAX TRAX ROAD COURSE||SIX-LANE "BIG D" OVAL TRACK||
JUNIOR RACERS SHOW BIG FOLKS FAST WAY AROUND
|RACING ACTION AT NEIL’S WHEELS||
IF YOU DON’T WANT TO BE EMBARRASSED, DON’T RACE THESE KIDS!
ONE OF THE SPACIOUS PIT AREAS AT THE PLANICK’S RACEWAY IN PLANO
|STAGING, START LINE & COMPUTER ON NEIL’S WHEELS DRAG STRIP||
THE FAÇADE TO FUN IN PLANO, TEXAS TENSE FROM RACING? GO NEXT DOOR!
THE SIGN SAYS IT ALL! HERE’S A DOORWAY TO FAMILY FUN AND ENJOYMENT!
REALLY ROCKET ACTION ON DRAG STRIP AT NEIL’S WHEELS!
|FOUR-LANE MAX TRAX OVAL|
NEIL’S WHEELS H.O. MODEL CAR RACEWAY
Our sincere thanks to Neil, Susan and Rachel Planick of NEIL’S WHEELS in Plano, Texas. Neil sent along the following text via e-mail:
One full time (me); one part time
We have our own Internet web site for information and mail order merchandise sales and sell items on the Ebay auction site. We conduct in-store "swap meets" a couple of times a year.
Lane rental $6/hr.; car and controller rental: $2/hr. Birthday parties: $10/$12 per person; race entry fees $5 (drag) and $7 (road). Give discounted entry fee for 14 and under.
Organized Racing Program:
Use our own "home grown" rules—the T.H.O.R. (Texas HO Racers) rulebook. Group of local racers/customers serve as Race and Technical Directors who develop racing schedule, racing classes, perform tech inspection, and interpret the rules (all subject to shop owner’s supervision and approval, of course).
2) Installing the Drag Strip: Doesn’t take up much space, cost less than a road course, brought in many entirely new customers, and gave existing customers another thing to do in the shop.
3) Setting up the Mail Order Website: Started kind of as an afterthought—has become like 30% of the business!
4) Ebay Auctions: Again, began doing just to sell a few collectible cars here and there, expanded it, now generates income year ‘round, even during the summer doldrums.
2) 1/32nd scale home style track and merchandise (they are making some awesome looking 1/32 cars these days). Maybe in-store racing track for these, too.
3) Larger shop and employee(s) to accomplish the above!
4) Expanded advertising program.
Best HO Car on the Market Today:
Most Exciting Recent HO Products on the Market:
2) The Model Motoring T-jet Cars: Full line of newly manufactured cars with NOS T-jet chassis. Many body styles in dozens of colors. Cost is from $20 to $25. Also makes repro Model Motoring style track and other accessories.
Favorite Things About the Business:
Least Favorite Things About the Business:
(ED. NOTE: Our sincere thanks to Neil and his family for our cover story this month. There are lot of folks who have preached a long time that the smallest of slot car scales is often the biggest in terms of sales and profits. There’s definitely something to be said about paying a lot less in rent! Once this issue is delivered I’m sure we’ll see quite a few "thumbs up" coming from Cincinnati, Ohio, Bedford, Pennsylvania, Redmond, Washington, Southern California and perhaps several other states!)